Tax Site Coordinator, Part-Time
Veterans Leadership Program
Veterans Leadership Program (VLP) is Western and Central Pennsylvania’s premier Veteran service organization. For nearly 40 years, VLP has operated with a focus on empowering Veterans to navigate the transitions of life and supports every Veteran in reaching their fullest potential. With supportive and service-oriented expertise, VLP serves over 4,000 Veterans annually through comprehensive programs and partnerships. VLP is the largest provider of Veteran subsidized housing in Western Pennsylvania, operates two of the nation’s most effective employment programs, as well as holistic wellness and additional supports for Veterans and their families.
VLP is a team comprised of experienced leadership, support staff, and case managers including Veterans, National Guard, Army Reserve, family members of Veterans, and civilian supporters who are deeply committed to assisting any and every Veteran.
Overview of Position
Veterans Leadership Program is seeking a skilled and dedicated leader to serve as a Tax Site Coordinator for VLP’s seasonal Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The VITA program is administered by the IRS and provides free tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers. The Tax Site Coordinator will manage the volunteers at VLP, which will include scheduling volunteer shifts, ensuring adequate staffing during all operating hours, and following-up via phone or email with volunteers, as needed, to confirm their scheduled shifts. The Tax Site Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the tax site and all volunteers working at the location adhere to the IRS’s quality guidelines and standards of operations.
- Complete Site Coordinator Training and become a certified VITA Tax Preparer using IRS-developed material
- Learn the IRS quality standards and ensure that they are followed by tax site volunteers
- Regularly meet with Supportive Services Supervisor to obtain site materials and other pertinent information and updates
- Coordinate access to telephone, copier, storage space, and ability to maintain customer privacy within the tax site area
- Collaboratively work with the Tax Site Manager to obtain listing of volunteers that have successfully passed the Volunteer Tax training and certification
- Maintain schedules for volunteers to work at site; list all volunteers scheduled for each date and their home phone numbers, ensure volunteers sign in & out, and state how many hours worked each day
- Ensure that the site opens as scheduled and is adequately staffed
- Monitor site to ensure quality review is being conducted, privacy is being maintained and the Site Identification Number is being annotated on each return.
- Ensure that sufficient tax forms and supplies and reference materials are available and properly used by volunteers
- February 2, 2023 – April 15, 2023: Tuesdays and Thursday 8am -3pm & Saturdays 8am-2pm at 2934 Smallman St.
- Training dates: September 13th 10am - 12pm; October 11th, 6-8pm; November 1, 10-12; November 15th, 6-8pm; November 29th, 9-12; December 7, 2-5pm; December 13th, 6-8pm; January 5th, 10-12.
- Tax Law Training dates:
- Saturday, Dec 3, 9-2 PM - In person location TBD
- Wednesday, Dec 7, 9-2PM - In person location TBD
- Dates and location (TBD)
- Thursday, Dec 15, 6-8:30PM
- Tuesday, Jan 10, 6-8:30PM
- New staff must attend basic and advanced trainings in person and an in person testing session.
- All Staff are required to attend advanced and reviewer training and to certify at the advanced level.
- Most trainings are virtual unless otherwise noted.
- Advance knowledge of IRS income tax return preparation and electronic filing
- Previous experience working with tax filing and preparation, financial literacy, or related field
- Computer skills using current software
- Outstanding organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform daily duties to achieve expected outcomes and performance measures with minimal supervision
- Display professional appearance in accordance with agency policy
- Ability to handle crisis situations
- Criminal history, and Act 33 and Act 34 clearances
- Demonstrated related experience may be substituted for preferred education