GPD Veteran Housing Service Coordinator - Altoona/Johnstown
Veterans Leadership Program
Veterans Leadership Program (VLP) is Western and Central Pennsylvania’s premier Veteran service organization. For 40 years, VLP has operated with a focus on empowering Veterans to navigate the transitions of life and supports every Veteran in reaching their fullest potential. With supportive and service-oriented expertise, VLP serves over 7,000 Veterans annually through comprehensive programs and partnerships. VLP is the largest provider of Veteran subsidized housing in Western Pennsylvania, operates two of the nation’s most effective employment programs, as well as holistic wellness and additional supports for Veterans and their families.
VLP is a team comprised of experienced leadership, support staff, and case managers including Veterans, National Guard, Army Reserve, family members of Veterans, and civilian supporters who are deeply committed to assisting any and every Veteran.
Overview of Position
The Veteran Veteran Housing Service Coordinator, provides comprehensive outreach and case management services to Veterans and their households in the Johnstown/Altoona, PA and surrounding service area. The Grant Per Diem (GPD) Coordinator collaborates with Program staff, Altoona VA Healthcare for Homeless staff and community partners to provide permanent housing, benefits, employment and supportive services to enrolled Veterans.
Location: Johnstown/Altoona, PA
- Provide direct and comprehensive case management to Veterans experiencing homelessness.
- Manage the unit transitions of all Veterans moving into GPD then into permanent housing.
- Complete assessment for eligible Veterans and maintains and update program case file with necessary documentation.
- Schedule and facilitate monthly meetings with all clients and complete individual service plans, monthly budgeting plans, and provide appropriate referrals.
- Foster and develop relationships with community organizations and resources such as permanent housing providers, social services providers, employment and training programs and entitlement agencies.
- Attend outreach events and promote program services.
- Advocate for veterans during their transition and build a network of volunteer support.
- Manage program metrics criteria in accordance with funder requirements.
- Maintain client confidentiality and adherence to HIPAA requirements at all times.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner consistent with VLP guidelines.
- Maintain agency required productivity standards.
- Develop protocols to continually improve the program.
- Participate in special events that publicize the organization and its programs to the community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects.
- Take initiative and handle a variety of activities concurrently in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines along with attention to details a must.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Progressive skills in crisis intervention and conflict resolution.
- Self-directed, flexible with strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Presentation skills along with professional behaviors, attitude and appearance.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to support the organization’s mission along with sensitivity of cultural and workplace harmony.
Experience and Education
- Undergraduate degree in Social Work or Social Science or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience working in the human services, case management or housing counseling required.
- Experience working with the homeless or Veteran population and/or working with clients preferred.
- FBI Act 73, criminal history, and Act 33 and Act 34 clearances required.
- Demonstrated related experience may be substituted for preferred education