Veteran Career Advisor (Veteran Employment Program)
Veterans Leadership Program
Veterans Leadership Program (VLP) is Western and Central Pennsylvania’s premier Veteran service organization. For 40 years, VLP has operated with a focus on empowering Veterans to navigate the transitions of life and supports every Veteran in reaching their fullest potential. With supportive and service-oriented expertise, VLP serves over 7,000 Veterans annually through comprehensive programs and partnerships. VLP is the largest provider of Veteran subsidized housing in Western Pennsylvania, operates two of the nation’s most effective employment programs, as well as holistic wellness and additional supports for Veterans and their families.
VLP is a team comprised of experienced leadership, support staff, and case managers including Veterans, National Guard, Army Reserve, family members of Veterans, and civilian supporters who are deeply committed to assisting any and every Veteran.
Overview of Position
The Veteran Career Advisor will assist Veterans in obtaining competitive employment that aligns with
their skills, experience, interests, and education. This position will work alongside Veterans
experiencing homelessness and housing instability and provide career counseling, resume assistance,
mock interviews, trainings, connections with employers, and job leads. The Veteran Career Advisor
will conduct and provide outreach and case management services to Veterans in Clearfield and
Location: Clearfield County
- Create an individualized employment service plan for each client, including measurable action items and timelines.
- Organize mock interview sessions, resume writing workshops, and services for Veterans to obtain and maintain employment.
- Tailor Veterans' resumes to highlight their strengths and experience related to the job opening.
- Conduct outreach in order to network with employers and expedite a Veteran's hiring process.
- Represent VLP at a variety of public forums and community events (federal, state, local, civic, private, community) and provide information about career services provided to Veterans by VLP.
- Refer clients for additional supportive services, including housing, counseling, and supportive services, as needed.
- Conduct enrollment of Veterans into VLP’s employment programs including program agreements and documents.
- Provide supportive service assistance related to employment to clients, including vouchers for transportation, clothing, trainings, etc.
- Refer clients to Job Training Programs, related to Occupations / Industries in Demand & those offered through the Local Employer & Training Network.
- Provide follow-up services to enhance clients’ placement / retention in employment.
- Maintain client confidentiality and adherence to HIPAA requirements at all times.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner consistent with VLP guidelines and program requirements.
- Host monthly Career Fairs (Virtual or In-person)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects.
- Take initiative and handle a variety of activities concurrently in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines along with attention to details a must.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Progressive skills in crisis intervention and conflict resolution.
- Self-directed, flexible with strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Presentation skills along with professional behaviors, attitude and appearance.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to support the organization’s mission along with sensitivity of cultural and workplace harmony.
Experience and Education
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Social Work or Social Science or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years successful experience in human services, case management, business, recruiting, or counseling preferred.
- Criminal history, and Act 33 and Act 34 clearances.
- Valid PA driver’s license and good driving record.
- $42,000 - $45,000