Veteran Assistant (Pittsburgh, Pa) Part Time Position
Veterans Leadership Program
Veterans Leadership Program (VLP) is Western and Central Pennsylvania’s premier Veteran service organization. For nearly 40 years, VLP has operated with a focus on empowering Veterans to navigate the transitions of life and supports every Veteran in reaching their fullest potential. With supportive and service-oriented expertise, VLP serves over 7,000 Veterans annually through comprehensive programs and partnerships. VLP is the largest provider of Veteran subsidized housing in Western Pennsylvania, operates two of the nation’s most effective employment programs, as well as holistic wellness and additional supports for Veterans and their families.
VLP is a team comprised of experienced leadership, support staff, and case managers including Veterans, National Guard, Army Reserve, family members of Veterans, and civilian supporters who are deeply committed to assisting any and every Veteran.
Overview of Position
The Veteran Assistant under the Low Demand Program will create, promote and encourage an atmosphere and tone at Veterans Leadership Program that conveys a welcoming, caring, and professional impression to clients. The Veteran Assistant will help Veterans who are experiencing homelessness transition into permanent housing.
- Responsible for monitoring one or more assigned clients on a designated unit for a specified time.
- Maintains client confidentiality.
- Monitors the client for signs of escalating behaviors.
- Provides meaningful handoff communication to the next Veteran Assistant when relieved of duties. (i.e. end of shift, breaks, etc.)
- Documents accurate and timely observations on monitoring tools/forms/Client record as requested.
- Create and maintain a professional, caring, and personalized client experience. Proactively anticipate the needs of clients by learning their preferences, to ensure they feel valued and appreciated at all times.
- Respond to inquiries from employees, clients, and others as well as refers, when necessary to the appropriate person, official, or department
- Work closely with the intake process by scheduling appointments, inputting basic client information into EHR, and notifying Service Navigator of scheduled intakes.
- Document all encounters with individuals, whether enrolled in VLP Programs or seeking information, in organizational EHR.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects.
- Take initiative and handle a variety of activities concurrently in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines along with attention to details a must.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Progressive skills in crisis intervention and conflict resolution.
- Self-directed, flexible with strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Presentation skills along with professional behaviors, attitude and appearance.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to support the organization’s mission along with sensitivity of cultural and workplace harmony.
Experience and Education
- Highschool diploma required.
- First Aid-CPR preferred.
- De-escalation training preferred.
- Medical observer training preferred.
- FBI, Act 33 and 34 clearances.
- $16.00 - $18.00 hr
- Part time
Location : Pittsburgh, Pa